08 August 2006

July 27, 11:41 pm, Sebree, KY

Tonight, we stay in the First Baptist Church. This place is great! We're allowed full use of the basement, and in terms of square footage it's bigger than eitherhouse I grew up in. And it's ours, all ours! So hospitable.

I think I might become a Baptist. Or a volunteer firefighter.

I've been reading through a Bible, and there are some things in here I never expected to read. I mean, the Old Testament does get a little out there, especially with Leviticus. But even the New Testament! Did you know women shouldn't speak in church? A sample, from St. Paul's first letter to the Corinthians:

"Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak, but they are to be submissive, as the law also says. And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home, for it is shameful for women to speak in church." -1 Cor 14:34-35

Wow.

Then again, I don't know how well to trust this Bible. It says that it's the NKJV text, but then again, it's also called the "Teen Extreme Bible". And it actually corrects God at one point. I know. Check it out.

The note for Leviticus 11:4-5 ("Nevertheless these you shall not eat among those that chew the cud or those that have cloven hooves: the camel, because it chews the cud but does not have cloven hooves, is unclean to you; the rock hyrax, because it chews the cud but does not have cloven hooves, is unclean to you...") says: "Rock hyraxes [also known as the 'coney' in KJV - ed.] look a lot like guinea pigs. They do not chew cud like cows do, but their mouths are moving all the time, giving the impression that they're chewing cud. The rock hyraxes have a suction-like grip that allows them to maneuver on rocks."

Now, I like the extra information about the suction-like grip, but I don't think I can trust a Bible with God-contradicting commentary.

Oooh! Also, I forgot to plog yesterday - I met a two-legged dog named Princess. Both her legs are on the same side of her body, and she can run. It is awe-inspiring. She'd be my role model if she hadn't been hit 4 times by the same truck.

7/26 Utica Volunteer Fire Department, Utica, KY -> 10.5 hrs, 03808.3

No comments: